Carbon Trading Workshop
This workshop is an introduction to the international carbon markets and the proposed Australian Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme. Participants will gain an understanding of the international carbon markets, their impact on the Australian electricity market and Australian Emission Trading Scheme, as well as the opportunities presented through trading spark spreads and clean spark spreads.
Tuesday 20 Jan 2009
|Carbon Trading Workshop Agenda||PDF, 197Kb|
ABOUT THE WORKSHOP
This workshop is an introduction to the international carbon markets as well as the proposed Australian Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme (CPRS). Participants will gain an understanding of the international carbon markets, their impact on the Australian electricity market, as well as the opportunities presented through trading spark spreads and clean spark spreads.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
The Australian National Electricity Market (NEM) has thus far not been exposed to the international carbon markets. The proposed linkages to international carbon emissions markets will cause significant changes to the emissions price risk faced by electricity-intensive Australian industries.
It is therefore essential that front office traders and risk managers of Australian utility companies and large energy users prepare themselves for the start of the Australian ETS by understanding the relevance of both the Australian and offshore carbon markets.
- Sydney, TBA
- Melbourne, TBA
- Brisbane, TBA
PRESENTER: Thomas Schmitz - Executive Manager Product Development & Sales
DURATION: 9AM- 3PM (6hrs)
Fees: AU $1,195 (exc GST)
MATERIALS: Workshop notes, refreshments and lunch provided.
- Understanding International Carbon Markets
- General Strucutre of Carbon Markets
- Market Examples (Kyoto and EU ETS)
- Clean Development Mechanism Overview
- Risk Management Strategies and Solutions
- Carbon Offset Instruments
- Regulated Market Overview
- Exchange traded carbon
- The Federal Government’s Whitepaper on the Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme
- Australia’s Emission Policy
- Regulatory Coverage
- Proposed Market Design
- Proposed Auction Model and its Implications
- Assistance to Energy-Intensive, Trade-Exposed Industries & Strongly Affected Industries
- International linkages to offshore carbon markets
- Emissions Trading
- Australian Emissions/Renewable Trading Markets
- International linkages to Australian ETS
- Current impact of ETS on the Financial Electricity Market
- Optimising linkages to offshore carbon markets
- Trading across jurisdictions
- Price correlation and arbitrage between Australia/International carbon
- Managing timing and funding risks
- Inter-relationship between Carbon and Electricity Trading
- International experience (Europe)
- Financial impact of carbon on electricity retailers, generators and consumers in Europe – Lessons for Australia
- Generator response
- Backsolving a carbon price from Australian electricity futures prices
- Liquidity impact on Australian electricity futures hedges
For further information or to enrol for any workshop please contact a member of d-cyphaTrade via:
Domestic (Toll free): 1800 330 101
International: +61 2 9237 0900
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and a representative will be in touch with you shortly.
Please download the registration form below and return to +61 2 9233 1745.
To organise an in-house workshop please call a member of the d-cyphaTrade Team on 1800 330 101 to discuss your specific requirements.